Hannibal Regional Offering Free Skin Cancer Screenings
Over the past few decades, more people have been diagnosed with a form of skin cancer than all other cancers combined and nearly five million people are treated for skin cancer each year in the United States.
Beginning in March and going through May, Dr. Schuyler Metlis with Hannibal Regional Medical Group will be hosting free skin cancer screenings throughout the region. While there is no charge, space is limited and an appointment is required. Dr. Metlis will be available for screenings on the following dates and times:
- Canton: April 11th - 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm. Call (573) 288-5360 to schedule.
- Monroe City: April 17th - 9:00 am - 11:00 am. Call (573) 735-2506 to schedule.
- Shelbina: April 17th - 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm. Call (573) 588-4131 to schedule.
- Louisiana: May 20th - 9:00 am - 11:00 am. Call (573) 754-5555 to schedule.
- Bowling Green: May 20th - 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm. Call (573) 324-2241 to schedule.
Some risk factors for skin cancer include a lighter natural skin color, reddish hair, family history of skin cancer, history of indoor tanning, history of sunburns (especially early in life), and skin that burns, freckles, or reddens easily. “If you have any of these risk factors, you should see a doctor for a skin cancer screening at least once a year,” says Dr. Metlis. "If you have skin cancer, finding it early is the best way to make sure it can be treated with success.”