I Celebrate a Birthday Every Day at 25th and Broadway
I am beginning to think I am jinxed. No matter which way I am traveling, I seem to always get stopped by the light at 25th and Broadway. With Y101′s studios just around the corner from that intersection, I probably go through that intersection more than most people.
There are times I sit at the light waiting to get onto Broadway for some 4 minutes. Other times, I turn the corner at 25th and Spring and see the light is green and I become Carl Edwards hurrying to get to the intersection, but usually the light is red by the time I get there. When that happens it feels like I had 3 birthdays before it switches back to green to allow me to move again. So I have, over the years, developed things to do while waiting.
Here is my list of things to do:
1. Count how many hotdogs are sold at the corner.
2…Count how many people are using their cell phones while driving in front of me on Broadway. (that will change January 1)
3. See what the soup of the day is at Culvers.
4. Check out the used cars at Shottenkirk’s lot.
5. Actually time the light to see just how long I have been waiting.
6. Count the makes of cars, Kias, Chevys Honda, Fords, etc. going past me.
7. Turn the radio on to see if the forecast has changed since I left work.
8. Count the vapor trails in the sky from planes flying over Quincy.
9. Contemplate turning right onto Broadway just to be moving even if it is the wrong direction to where I wanted to go.
And 10. Look up the city engineer’s phone number to see if he has ever tried to go thru this intersection from 25th Street.
Even if the light turns green it is no guarantee that I will be able to turn since I have to wait for oncoming cars heading north on 25th. And if that line is a long one, I may have to do it all over again. Any ideas on a replacement for #2 since that should go away beginning tomorrow? Let me know.