Prepping for Spinal Surgery, Young Entrepreneur Finds Time for Slime
An 11-year-old Hannibal girl with a rare medical condition and an aptitude for entrepreneurship is capitalizing on the homemade slime craze currently oozing its way across the United States.
Setting up shop in her Market Street-facing front yard, 11-year-old Brooke Lilley has brought in more than $300 peddling her own multi-colored concoctions of (safe) household ingredients.
Brooke was recently diagnosed with a rare and severe form of scoliosis known as “African Curve” which means the curvature is greater than 90 degrees. She is preparing for a six-week stay at St. Louis’ Shriners Hospital for Children where she’ll be doing physical therapy and a treatment known as “halo traction”. Following the treatment, Brooke will undergo surgery to repair her spine. Doctors estimate that bypassing the surgery would give Brooke a life expectancy 20-25 years, but a successful surgery will allow her to live a full and normal life.
“There is a 20 percent chance she could be paralyzed from the surgery,” Brooke’s sister Megan says. “But that means there is an 80 percent chance my baby sister can have a happy healthy life.”
During the six weeks, only one family member is allowed to stay with Brooke at a time. But with full-time jobs and a five-year-old at home, Megan and her husband plan to do a lot of driving to and from Hannibal.
“We are trying to raise money for the back and forth trips to and from St. Louis we will be making two to four times a week,” Megan says.
In addition to the slime sales, the family has set up a Gofundme page which has raised an additional $300 as of this writing.
Those interested in making a donation can visit the Gofundme page or make an in-person slime purchase at 3604 Market Street in Hannibal.