Canton Youth Awarded Missouri State Fair Scholarship
Missouri State Fair Director Mark Wolfe announced this week that 32 youth, selected from Missouri 4-H and FFA, will be awarded scholarships by the Missouri State Fair Foundation Youth in Agriculture (YIA) committee. One of the 32 is Jackson Barry of Canton, Missouri.
These students are seeking higher education at a Missouri university/college, and will receive their scholarships Friday, April 21, during the annual State FFA Convention in Columbia. Scholarship applicants were evaluated in a variety of areas including Missouri State Fair participation, grade point average, community involvement and leadership roles.
The scholarships are funded through the generosity of Youth in Agriculture sponsors and buyers of the livestock sold during the annual Sale of Champions. A portion of each animal’s sale price is allocated to the scholarship program. The Missouri State Fair Foundation also provides significant support of the scholarship program through fundraising efforts including the Governor's Ham Breakfast.
Listed below are all of the scholarship winners:
Mattison Lenae Ishmael, of Gallatin, has been selected to receive the $5,000 platinum scholarship offered by YIA supporters. Allison Bertz, of Mayview, has been selected to receive the $2,500 supreme scholarship, sponsored by Sydenstricker John Deere of Missouri/Sydenstricker Angus Genetics.
The youth chosen to receive $1,500 scholarships, sponsored by the Missouri State Fair Foundation and YIA supporters are:
- Jackson Barry, of Canton
- Corbin Bell, of Higginsville
- Abby Bertz, of Mayview
- Emily Blaue, of Wellsville
- Bailey Boland, of Sweet Springs
- Ashton E. Brockman, of Brookfield
- Austin Dotson, of Cameron
- Tanner Ellison, of Baring
- Grace Erickson, of Bolivar
- Mariah Gach, of St. Joseph
- Kiley A. Gibson, of Ridgeway
- Shambree Hagan, of Princeton
- Kale Harris, of New Franklin
- Caleb Hudson, of Middletown
- Allison L. Jenkins, of Butler
- Claire Emma Ludwig, of Linn
- Kade Matthew Marnin, of Mendon
- Aaron Mott, of Rocheport
- Kristina Nadler, of Wentzville
- Kaylee Peel, of Chillicothe
- Elijah Kade Plattner, of Chillicothe
- Hannah Rockers, of Carthage
- Jeb Schaefer, of Callao
- Joslyn Seals, of Browning
- Abigail Turner, of Brookfield
- Jacob E. Vaughn, of Sturgeon
- Madison Walkup, of Gower
- Davis Washburn, of King City
- Sara Webb, of Unionville
- Audrey Wilson, of Clever
The YIA committee is comprised of volunteers from across the state who work throughout the year to raise funds for the annual Sale of Champions auction and scholarships. This year’s auction will be held Saturday, Aug. 19, in the Lowell Mohler Assembly Hall on the Missour State Fairgrounds.