Top Ten Things For Drivers to Do in Freezing, Snowy Weather
It continues to amaze me how some people drive in the weather we are experiencing. So, as a result of my observations, here is my top ten list of things people need to do and know to be safe while driving.
10. Warm up your car or truck before driving it. If there is ice on the inside of the window, it is not warm yet.
9. Clean off your windshields and lights. Yeah, you really do need to see to drive.
8. Tap your brakes to see if road conditions are good for stopping. You don’t want to find out the hard way.
7. Shift your car into neutral when approaching a stop sign or light. It’s easier to stop.
6. Stay well behind the car in front of you. Tailgating shows your lack of intelligence.
5. Make sure you buy an additive to put in your gasoline to prevent gas line freeze-up.
4. Back your car into a parking lot spot so another vehicle can jump the battery, if needed.
3. Keep your car filled with gas, along with a blanket, a charged cellphone, candy bars, a shovel and a bag of kitty litter (for traction).
2. Like pilots filing a flight plan, do likewise for your driving trip and let others know it.
1. Remove your vehicle off the well traveled streets to allow the plows a chance to clean the entire street. Same holds true for those who use someone else’s parking lot (not going to name anyone with a red pickup truck).