Here are Some Tips to Fight the Heat
Summer is here and with it are high temperatures and humid conditions expected all this week. Afternoon temperatures are expected to be above 90 degrees and heat index readings around 100 degrees for the next few days. It is important that you don't let the weather cause you to suffer a heat related illness. With that in mind, here are some tips to help deal with the extreme heat.
- Drink at least 2 liters (about a half-gallon) of water per day if you are mostly indoors and 1 to 2 additional liters for every hour of outdoor time. Drink before you feel thirsty, and avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing and use a sun hat or an umbrella to deflect the sun's rays.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals instead of large ones.
- Avoid strenuous activity.
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Take regular breaks if you must exert yourself on warm days.